Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 ? Want to upgrade it? Then probably the first thing you need to do is install clockworkmod recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3. Without it you will not able to update/upgrade your galaxy s3. There are lots of custom roms, Cyanogenmod & other tweaks are available for Samsung galaxy s3 which can really improve your S3 performance by 50%, but in order to install those ROM or cyanogenmd for Samsung galaxy s3 you have to install clockworkmod touch recovery on Samsung galaxy S3.
If you are long connected with Android then you must know what is clockworkmod recovery & why is it so important, well clockworkmod recovery or CWM recovery is nothing but a custom recovery developed by Koushik Dutta which is very helpful in installing rom & unbricking device in many critical situation. If we talk about custom recovery then more than 5 or 6 types of custom recovery are available. But out of them Clockworkmod CWM Recovery is the most renounced one. And today I’m going to guide you to install Clockworkmod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (touch recovery).
Note : This CWM Recovery installation guide is applicable to international Samsung Galaxy S3 that is GT-i9300 (GSM version only) don’t try it on S3 GT-19300t. Also please be careful while following this guide, don’t try to do anything else which is not mentioned here otherwise it may brick your S3. So lets check out what are the requirement to install cwm recovery on samsung galaxy s3.
Requirement to install Clockworkmod Recovery for Samsung Galaxy S3
1) First check your S3 model number it should be GT-19300. (setting > about > phone menu) Don’t try it one any other variants.
2) Charge your device upto 60% or more.
3) Make sure to backup all important files from S3.
4) Download & Install the Samsung galaxy S3 USB driver.
Link : ODIN flasher (v3.07)
Install Clockworkmod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3
1) First complete all the steps written above in requirement section.
2) Download the ODIN flasher from requirement section, extract it & open the ODIN flasher.
3) Then turn off your s3.
4) Press & hold Volume down + Home + Power until the screen shows you a Warning screen. When you get the warning screen press the Volume Up button & you will be in Download more or so called ODIN download mode.
5) Connect S3 with your computer via original USB cable. wait for few minutes let your computer recognize the phone.
6) Now the ID:COM should turn yellow or blue & the word “Added” will display on white message box in ODIN.
7) Tick the Auto Reboot & F.Reset time in ODIN.
8) Click on the PDA button in ODIN, a popup should appear now browse & select the recovery-cwmtouch-22.214.171.124-GTI9300.tar file that you downloaded earlier from requirement section.
9) Finally click the Start button on Odin.
10) Allow 10 to 12 minute, Odin will install clockworkmod recovery on Samsung galaxy S3. Then it will automatically reboot once, now it’s done.
How to boot into Galaxy S3 recovery mode
- Disconnect USB cable.
- Switch off your phone.
- Press & Hold Home + Volume Up + Power buttons for 5 secs to boot into S3 cwm recovery mode.
Some Galaxy S3 user (5%) said that they are facing problem with CWM recovery installation. Even after installing CWM recovery when they are trying to boot in clockworkmod recovery mode they are automatically redirected to stock recovery. This is because in some cases stock recovery get auto re flashed after a boot.
So lets check out how to fix that …
1) To fix this problem, you have to root Samsung Galaxy S3 first. so follow the link & do it now.
2) After the download any file manager which permit you to access system file. You can use root browser or root explorer. So download it & install one your S3, then open it. It may ask you to download additional file so confirm it.
3) Using root browser open the system folder & delete the file named “recovery-from-boot.p.”. After that open System/etc folder & delete the “install-recovery.sh” file.
4) Now follow our guide again & install the clockworkmod recovery on samsung galaxy s3 i9300. This time I guarantee stock recovery will not get auto flashed & you will get fresh CWM recovery installed on your Galaxy S3.
So that’s it, hope this guide was easy to follow up. Now as you have completed flashing Clockworkmod recovery on Samsung galaxy S3 you might like to try out some custom ROM’s. If yes then I will recommend you to install Cyanogenmod 10.2 on Samsung galaxy S3. Thanks for following the guide on how to install clockworkmod recovery on Samsung galaxy S3.